If in doubt about any aspect of group riding, ask the ride leader
- Group rides are not a race – Keep to the defined goals of the ride that you are on
- We try to cater for all abilities – usually 4 groups head out each weekend
- You should be able to comfortably complete 4 laps of Richmond Park in around 2 hours
- Ask a coach (eg at the pub or a Thursday night) about riding disciplines etc, refer to web site for code of conduct
- Rides are facilitated and guided by the coaching team, but not coached
- Split by speed (if unsure start in an easy group and move up as and when you feel confident of pacing)
- Try to keep groups <8-10 riders
- Obey Road Rules
- Keep to the left
- Single file or two lines when safe
- Stay in the line
- Communicate everything (holes, glass, stopping, turning)
- Mechanicals, advise group and everyone to stop
- Brick, Long, Ironbike – choose according to race plan & current fitness
- You are responsible for: – Safety, bike road worthy, clothing etc, carry spares & pump
- Always carry: – mobile phone, club card with coaches numbers & money for coffee or emergencies
- Eat Breakfast
- Carry 2 water bottles
- Carry food (bananas or energy bars)
British Cycling Ride Smart Scheme
British Cycling offers a range of useful membership options but they also offer some very useful advice on cycling safety, skills and techniques.
Some cycling basics can be found on their Ride Smart page with a range of short videos on such things as cornering, riding in groups, descending.
They also use a number of ‘How to…’ videos from the Global Cycling Network on Youtube. Lot’s of really useful 5 min video’s on such things as reading the road, handling potholes, cobbles, using a heart rate monitor, riding on rollers, using your Garmin.
So…what are you waiting for?