Race Results W/E 23 September

When you sign up for a race in late September in England, sometimes you get a beautiful clear sky with a crisp early-autumn chill. Other times, you get deluge. Unfortunately for many racing this weekend, it was deluge.

But first, I forgot to mention last week we had Paolo Santamaria and Chris Brown out at Ironman 70.3 Nice. The course, a preview for next year’s 70.3 World Championships, is pretty much just one big mountain climb, followed by a run on the Promenade des Anglais, and although it’s less of a sauna at this time of year, it’s certainly not an easy race. Well done to both Chris and Paolo for strong results!

This week, first up on Saturday was Swim Serpentine. Charlie Muir Sands took on the race for the second year in a row. Although injury meant he wasn’t able to kick as well and the weather was fairly rubbish, nevertheless it was a good event.

Also congratulations to Archie Myrtle for finishing strong in tough conditions at Hever Castle Olympic on Saturday.

On Sunday, unfortunately a number of people had their race plans cancelled, as the organisers cancelled VeloSouth due to the pretty awful weather. The triathlon race organisers, however, determined that the triathletes could manage, and so Hever Castle Triathlon and Ironman 70.3 Weymouth went ahead, despite truly terrible conditions.

James coming out of/into the water at Hever Castle Tri

Up at Hever taking on the middle distance race were Ed Challes, Ruth Purbrook, and James Ellis. Unfortunately, the weather got the better of three out of three Ful-on Triers, as conditions meant that it was simply too cold to make the late season race worth it.

Down in Weymouth, James Whetman, Dom Masters, Ed Dennis, Bastiaan Trommel, Shaun Wood, Carry Triggs Hodge, Scott Griffith, Steph Ede, Jonny Ellis, James Ogilvy, John Borton and Jon Green took on the 70.3. The swim was shortened to something like 950m (or, according to Shaun, something much longer than 950m) due to the bad weather, but the race went ahead as planned otherwise. Unfortunately, both Jon punctured on the bike, while John ended up with hypothermia, forcing both to DNF. Nevertheless, the rest of the FoT crew managed to finish the race (although not without incident) despite the miserable weather. Well done all!

Also a big shout out to Sam and Lucy at Weymouth and to Sian at Hever, who went down to support, stood out in the rain, and otherwise sacrificed what could have been lovely Sundays wrapped up inside.

Well done also to Debs Yates who ran a super speedy half at the Bristol Half.

Finally, here are this week’s Parkrun results for all members registered as Ful-on Tri: https://www.parkrun.com/results/consolidatedclub/?clubNum=541